Popular battle royale game Fortnite has returned to app stores worldwide, according to developer Epic Games, marking a major development in its long-running legal dispute with Apple over App Store payment policies.
In a statement released Tuesday, Epic Games said the return of Fortnite reflects growing confidence that courts and regulators will eventually force Apple to become more transparent about the fees it charges developers through the App Store ecosystem.
The dispute between the two companies began in 2020 after Epic accused Apple of violating U.S. antitrust laws by charging commissions of up to 30 per cent on in-app purchases.
Epic, which is backed by Chinese technology giant Tencent, argued that Apple’s App Store rules unfairly restricted competition and imposed excessive fees on developers.
The game had already returned to Apple’s U.S. App Store last year after being absent for nearly five years, but Tuesday’s announcement signals a broader global rollout.
Epic claimed Apple is facing increasing legal pressure to disclose how its App Store fees are calculated.
Once Apple is forced to show its costs, governments around the world will not allow Apple junk fees to stand,” Epic said in the statement.
Despite the wider return, Epic noted that Fortnite is still unavailable on the Australian App Store because Apple continues to enforce some developer policies that courts have reportedly ruled unlawful.
Fortnite remains one of the world’s most successful online games, attracting millions of daily players who purchase in-game cosmetics and virtual currency.
However, Epic earlier this year announced plans to cut more than 1,000 jobs amid declining player engagement and broader economic challenges affecting consumer spending.
The ongoing legal clash between Epic and Apple has become one of the technology industry’s most closely watched antitrust battles, with potential implications for app marketplaces, digital payments, and developer rights globally.


