Friday, February 20, 2026
HomeNewsInvestigation Uncovers Army Colonel Behind Alleged Coup Plot Against Tinubu

Investigation Uncovers Army Colonel Behind Alleged Coup Plot Against Tinubu

ABUJA: An interim investigation into the alleged coup plot against President Bola Tinubu’s administration has identified an Army Colonel as the alleged coordinator of a clandestine plan to overthrow the government.

Findings of the probe revealed that the Colonel, whose name was withheld, allegedly mobilized disaffected officers across the Nigerian Army, Navy and Air Force, coordinating recruitment, funding and early-stage operational planning for the plot.

Investigators said the officer’s discontent stemmed from repeated failures in promotion examinations, a grievance he allegedly leveraged to recruit like-minded officers while openly expressing the need to change government.

Read also:

According to the report, the plot went beyond casual dissent and had entered an operational phase, with officers assigned to conduct covert surveillance of strategic national installations, including the Presidential Villa, the Armed Forces Complex, Niger Barracks in Abuja, and international airports in Abuja and Lagos.

The Defence Headquarters had, in October 2025, announced the arrest of 16 officers for acts of indiscipline and breaches of service regulations. Shortly after, reports emerged linking the arrests to secret meetings aimed at toppling the government and the cancellation of the October 1 Independence Day parade.

While the then Director of Defence Information, Brig. Gen. Tukur Gusau (retd.), dismissed the reports as internal disciplinary matters, the current Director, Maj. Gen. Samaila Uba, confirmed on Monday that a comprehensive investigation had been concluded and forwarded to appropriate authorities.

Searches conducted on the Colonel’s vehicle reportedly uncovered charms and anti-government materials, while a raid on his residence in Lokogoma, Abuja, allegedly yielded sensitive documents detailing assigned roles, funding arrangements and plans for handling key national dignitaries.

Investigators said financial inducements ranging from ₦2m to ₦5m were allegedly distributed to some officers, while encrypted platforms such as WhatsApp and Zangi were used for coordination.

A financial trail linked to the plot is currently under analysis by the Nigerian Financial Intelligence Unit.

One of the suspects, Lt. Col. S. Bappah, reportedly emerged as a key witness and is said to be cooperating with investigators, providing details on recruitment methods, funding flows and communication channels.

The 16 officers currently in custody include senior officers up to the rank of Brigadier-General.

Investigators warned that the cross-service nature of the network and the identification of strategic installations pointed to deliberate coup-style planning.

The foiled plot was allegedly scheduled for October 25, 2025, with investigators stating that the plan marked President Tinubu, Vice President Kashim Shettima, ministers, service chiefs and other top officials for elimination.

The Defence Headquarters has said all indicted personnel would be arraigned before appropriate military judicial panels, while investigations have expanded to include civilian contacts, financiers and possible political links.

Security sources stressed that no conclusions had been reached regarding civilian involvement, noting that ongoing reviews were aimed at ensuring due diligence and safeguarding national stability.

Most Popular