Friday, August 21, 2026
HomeSportsEFCC, ICPC Probe ₦12bn NFF Fund Released for Players’ Wages, Bonuses

EFCC, ICPC Probe ₦12bn NFF Fund Released for Players’ Wages, Bonuses

 

ABUJA: The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) have commenced investigations into the utilisation of a ₦12 billion Federal Government intervention fund released to the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) for the payment of players’ wages, allowances and bonuses.

The development emerged from a response by the NFF to a Freedom of Information request seeking details of how the funds were disbursed and utilised.

In a letter dated August 18, 2026, and signed by Onoja Joshua, Esq., on behalf of the NFF General Secretary, the federation said it could not provide the requested financial records because the matter was already being investigated by the two anti-corruption agencies.

The letter, referenced NFF/LEG/10/1/879, was addressed to the Principal Partner of Cromwell & Okeke following an earlier request dated August 7 and received by the NFF on August 11.

The request sought access to financial records, utilisation logs and other documents relating to the ₦12 billion intervention fund reportedly released by the Federal Government to settle outstanding obligations to national team players and officials.

However, the NFF said the documents requested were currently with the EFCC and ICPC.

The federation stated:

“The subject matter of the request under the Freedom of Information Act are subject of investigations by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC).”

It added that all documents relating to the request were before the two anti-corruption agencies.

NFF declines to disclose details

The NFF did not disclose the specific transactions or expenditures that triggered the investigations.

It also did not reveal when the EFCC and ICPC investigations commenced, the officials or individuals being scrutinised, or whether anyone had been invited for questioning.

The development, however, has renewed concerns about the management of public funds allocated to Nigerian football, particularly money earmarked for the payment of national team players, coaches and other officials.

The two agencies have different but complementary anti-corruption mandates. The EFCC investigates economic and financial crimes, while the ICPC focuses primarily on corruption and related offences involving public institutions and officials.

How the ₦12bn came about

The ₦12 billion fund dates back to the Federal Government’s intervention to clear outstanding financial obligations to Nigeria’s national teams.

In January 2024, President Bola Tinubu approved the release of ₦12 billion to settle outstanding payments owed to the country’s national teams across different sporting disciplines.

The intervention reportedly covered 15 months of outstanding salaries for senior national team coaches, as well as allowances, bonuses and other financial obligations involving the Super Eagles, Super Falcons and Under-20 national teams, among others.

The President’s media team had announced at the time that the payment was intended to clear the backlog of financial obligations owed to the national teams.

However, the latest disclosure by the NFF that the fund is now subject to EFCC and ICPC investigations has raised fresh questions about its eventual utilisation.

Sources cited in the report claimed that a significant portion of the money was used to settle hotel accommodation expenses incurred by players at different levels of national team assignments.

The NFF has not publicly provided a comprehensive breakdown of the fund’s expenditure in response to the latest questions.

NFF leadership faces fresh scrutiny

The investigation comes amid growing controversy surrounding the administration and financing of Nigerian football.

The development also follows reports that the NFF board, led by President Ibrahim Musa Gusau, approached FIFA over alleged plans by the Nigerian government to intervene in the administration of the federation.

Reports indicated that the Federal Government had authorised the National Sports Commission (NSC) to explore the establishment of an interim committee to oversee Nigerian football and potentially halt the planned NFF election.

The reported move followed concerns over the country’s recent football performance, including the failure of the women’s national team to qualify for the Women’s World Cup for the first time.

The latest financial investigation could therefore add another layer to the already tense relationship between the government and the NFF.

For now, neither the EFCC nor the ICPC has publicly disclosed the scope of the investigation or announced any findings.

The NFF’s response only confirms that the requested financial records are currently with the two anti-corruption agencies, meaning questions over how the ₦12 billion national team intervention fund was spent may remain unanswered until the investigations are concluded.

SEO Keyword: EFCC ICPC probe ₦12 billion NFF fund

Suggested SEO Headline: EFCC, ICPC Probe ₦12bn NFF Fund Released for Players’ Wages, Bonuses

Meta Description: EFCC and ICPC are investigating the utilisation of a ₦12bn Federal Government intervention fund released to the NFF for national team players’ wages, allowances and bonuses.

Files, images, and data analysis are unavailable until usage resets at 11:31 AM. Continue chatting with text only, or

Most Popular