ABUJA Department of State Services (DSS) investigator on Wednesday alleged that Tukur Mamu, currently standing trial for terrorism-related offences, personally benefited from ransom payments made during the 2022 Abuja–Kaduna train attack.
The operative made the claim while testifying before Justice Mohammed Umar of the Federal High Court in Abuja.
The witness, identified as the sixth prosecution witness (PW-6), testified behind a security shield.
Led in evidence by DSS counsel David Kaswe, the operative told the court that investigations showed a noticeable change in Mamu’s lifestyle during the period he negotiated with the terrorists.
According to the investigator, Mamu:
-
Encouraged ransom negotiations between victims’ families and the terrorists
-
Collected funds on behalf of the terrorists
-
Helped to confirm and deliver ransom payments
-
Illegally possessed a firearm
-
Supplied terrorists with information on how to build a website
-
Held cash that exceeded the legally allowed limit
The witness also alleged that Mamu withheld voice notes used during negotiation from the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) Committee, the body authorised to handle rescue operations.
He further claimed that Mamu had no mandate to negotiate on behalf of the CDS Committee and worked directly with the terrorists for personal benefit.
When questioned on changes in Mamu’s lifestyle, the operative stated that Mamu was arrested alongside four family members whom he sponsored on a trip to Egypt. He also said Mamu purchased two cars around the same period.
During cross-examination, Johnson Usman, SAN, counsel to Mamu, queried the depth and accuracy of the DSS investigation.
The witness admitted that:
-
Although DSS has officers deployed to all Nigerian airports, he could not confirm whether Mamu travelled through Kano International Airport
-
He had never worked at an airport and had never travelled outside Nigeria
-
He did not check Mamu’s passport, despite its being in DSS custody
-
He had not seen any formal DSS invitation issued to Mamu before or after the train attack
-
He did not know Mamu’s net worth and had never met him prior to the case
The investigator, however, maintained that several individuals suggested by the victims were contacted by the terrorists, but Mamu was the only one willing to participate in the negotiations.
He also noted that only one hostage had been released before Mamu first engaged with the terrorists.
Justice Umar adjourned the matter to January 29, 2026, for continuation of trial.


