ABUJA: The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission has confirmed it is holding former Kaduna State governor Nasir El-Rufai, hours after he was released from custody by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.
According to the anti-corruption agency, the former governor remains under investigation, though details of the allegations were not immediately disclosed. Witnesses said he was granted administrative bail Wednesday evening before being taken into custody again by armed operatives stationed at the EFCC headquarters in Abuja.
Initial reports differed on which security body carried out the rearrest, with some pointing to the State Security Service. The ICPC later clarified that it was responsible for the action.
The development comes amid ongoing legal disputes involving the former governor, including cybercrime charges linked to remarks he made during a television interview alleging that the National Security Adviser’s phone had been tapped. The adviser, Nuhu Ribadu, has not publicly responded to the allegation.
El-Rufai had earlier reported an attempted arrest at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja after returning from Cairo. Witnesses said security personnel briefly seized his passport before allowing him to leave.
His lawyer criticised the move as unlawful and said his client had already arranged to honour an EFCC invitation voluntarily. The legal team also demanded the return of his travel documents, warning of possible court action over alleged rights violations.
The former governor has faced increasing scrutiny since leaving office, including allegations of financial misconduct running into hundreds of billions of naira.
Investigations were previously requested by the Kaduna State House of Assembly, and anti-corruption agencies have reportedly sought his cooperation.
Politically, El-Rufai once supported President Bola Tinubu but later became a critic after a ministerial nomination failed to materialize.
He subsequently aligned with the opposition African Democratic Congress, where he has pledged to challenge the ruling party ahead of the 2027 elections.
As of press time, his legal representatives had not issued a fresh statement regarding the latest detention. Observers expect further clarification from authorities as investigations continue.


